Thursday, July 13, 2006

dwit-ger!



i love to cook! i am no gormet chef by any means, but it makes me happy to make a really great meal for my husband. we have found that we love to cook together too. at least once a week we cook a big meal together and just take our time making it fun and delicious. i always make him defrost and season the chicken, because i think its kinda barfy, but its fun nonetheless. (i also make him grate the cheese, because i hate getting my fingers slimeyand cheesey). we have come up with dozens of recipes that are quick, delicious and contain ingredients that you already have around the house! so i want to share them with you all. at first i thought it might be dumb, but then i realized that lots of you have people to cook for and need something quick. i will be posting a new recipe every week on thursday and will call it, "Dont Worry, Tara's Got a Recipe!", or DWTGR! (pronounced, dwit-ger)
This is the first week of DWTGR! and i hope at least one person gives it a whirl! let me know what you think!
Calzones
ingredients:
1 can pilsbury pizza crust
1 can diced tomatoes
pepperoni
onions-chopped
green peppers- chopped
black olives
3 Tbsp italian seasoning (or if you dont have it, just use basil, thyme, oragano and whatever else)
mozzerella- shredded
paresan- shredded

unroll pizza dough and use a small/medium size bowl to cut large circles (i find that one pizza dough roll make 2 large calzones). in a small bowl mix diced tomatoes and italian seasoning. spread mixture on half of each circle and then just top with remaing pizza toppings. (i like to use lots of extra topping to make it stuffed!) fold over the dough to make a half moon shape and then use a fork to seal all the edges. heat oil in a large skillet and carefully slide calzone into the hot oil. cook until brown and then flip over to other side. top with shredded parmesan and melt it on top. (if you healthy people dont want to cook it in oil, im sure you could bake it)
This is one of our faves, enjoy! see you next thursday for the second annual DWTGR!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

tt, this was a great idea, not just for young married couples but for poor college students such as myself as well! I will forever look forward to DWTGR.

I did want to quickly mention that I kind of also feel as if you might be a selfish cook… It’s like you just give E all the jobs you hate to do...for example: “I always make him defrost and season the chicken, because I think its kinda barfy” and “I also make him grate the cheese, because i hate getting my fingers slimey and cheesey.” There are a lot of I's in those sentences...maybe you should think about that next time…

tara said...

this is true, my well rounded friend. i am ready to fully admit that it is not so much that eric likes to do these little tasks, but that i make him and threaten to "withold" if he doesnt do it. (but not really) it all evens out in the end, eric de-fats the chicken, i dice the vegis, eric shreds the cheese, i pick my nose and watch...

Anonymous said...

Hi Tara

Anonymous said...

I'm a "poster"!

Jess said...

I like that comment Eric. You were funny. And T I like your recipe idea.

Ryan Woods said...

At first I thought that eric called himself a poser. Funny.
Hey do you remember when eric would sometimes say something really funny and then he'd be like "yeah I heard that on the radio the other day" or something like that. And you'd be like "Eric! When you say something funny, you can't tell everybody where it's from!"

arwen said...

i remember when we stole this recipe from VPC... you stealer.

dodyb said...

Tara if you have all that stuff just hangin around your kitchen I'm moving in :)

Mrs. Andrea Wood said...

It is good that you two work well together in the kitchen. I'm kind of jealous.
When the two of us try to cook together we have to have one person in charge and the other is a helper- otherwise we get all on each other's nerves. That and our kitchen is only big enough for one person.

Mrs. Andrea Wood said...

Remember when we worked at VPC together and we all cooked together?

Good times.

Jen said...

Thanks, T. I'm in!

Lisa said...

That sounds delightful. I usually have to kick Rolo out of the kitchen, it just doesn't work for us. Rolo was very blessed as a child in that food was always hot and waiting for him whenever he wanted it; he quickly learned thats not the case now! I thought that on days I didn't want to cook he would make something himself, but he really, truely, down to his sweet little soul doesn't know how to do one single thing in the kitchen. Except wash the dishes. God bless his soul for that. Anyways, I love this idea. Now, I will always have a dinner idea for Thursday nights.

Eric is funny. I miss that little guy. Remember when we were friends...

Priscilla said...

Great idea Tara! I love food and I like cooking when I actually do it (not that often). I am looking forward to Thursdays recipe day now!

Jess said...

Can we make recipe requests? Like, "Hmm...I sure am in the mood for something Mexican"?

tara said...

arwen, dont you ever say that this is stolen from vpc! never again. not everything that is pizza related is from vpc, face it. :)
jessy, yes, i am open for requests, now if anyone, i wont mention any names, decided to request a mexican recipe that was gluten free and sugar free and taste free i would not oblige, but most anything else...

Anonymous said...

so i just did ran my pic through my heritage and here are the results:

Gladas Knight
Coolieo
Serena Williams
Harry belafonte
Aaliyah
Chris Tucker
LL Cool J
Beyonce

Do you notice anything??? They are ALL black! and most are female!

arwen said...

hey tt, I like your new topless sexy pic... nice.