Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Everything is bigger in OKC...


A few weeks ago I decided to take Charles to the Oklahoma City Zoo. We went early in the morning while it was nice and cool and the place was nearly empty, just a few moms and babies wandering around. It was so nice and peacefull and quiet, we were having a great time! Then as we strolled along we came upon an exhibit that was just trees so we stopped to read the sign and see what was in there and if we could find it. As I began reading I realized there were Cicada Killer nests in those trees...(hmmm, whats a Cicada Killer?)...also known as Giant Red Wasps...(what the...??) Within a few seconds we are surrounded by hundreds of crazy giant red wasps, so I start freaking out- swatting and shaking and running as fast as Charles' stroller will allow! I'm sure I was a lovely sight- doing the running boogy dance. But what the crap?! What kind of Zoo thinks it would be a great idea to have a wasp exhibit and hives- out in the open for all the world to be stung?! Well, we didn't get stung, but I will forever wonder who fabulous idea that was...us Oklahomans, we are duh smardest ever.




10 comments:

Unknown said...

You have GOT to be making that up!

Freakin' Oklahoma!

Unknown said...

Is Charles holding the wasps?

tara said...

no charles is not holding the wasps! lol
its just a random picture that i got off the internet of them.

Jen said...

I thought for sure you were holding those gargantuan objects of detestability. Sick! I'm so glad you're not bound to the house any more! Maybe I shouldn't be with those freakoids flying around...

Ryan Woods said...

are you joking? Can they really sting? Were they really flying around you? Are they really killer?
Thats maybe the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

tara said...

They don't kill people! They only kill Cicada's- for anyone who has been down south, they are those huge locus/beetle things that make a deafeningly loud hissing noise in all the trees.
And yes, they really flew all around us- they may not kill me but they will sting me and I don't want to be stung!

Drew said...

I think that Cicadas are 100 times worse. Those things scare the crap out of me!

Oklahoma is up it's bottom!

Liesl said...

Oh my goodness, that is scary! I found your blog thru a friend's blog (who is adopting like you are!) and LOVE the stories! This one, however, scared me...I would totally have been doing that little bee-boogey dance right there with ya. Never have been stung and never want to be. I, too, cannot believe that this would be considered an "exhibit" at our beloved zoo...crazy zookeepers.
Thanks for the laugh, though! :o)

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada_killer_wasp As you can read in this Wikipedia entry, cicada killers are not social wasps and they are ground dwellers. They do not make nests, and certainly do not have colonies.

Kaydub said...

Actually their VENOM doesn't kill people when stung, however, being stung is like being stabbed with huge daggers! As long as you don't get stung near any vital organs, you may live.